In the process of making the 5 bridesmaid dresses for my wedding, I made myself a version to test out some of the processes and techniques. I hadn’t really worked with lace before so I wanted to try out ways … Continue reading
Don’t you just love it when you find a long forgotten pattern in your stash and it’s already taped together. Ah, such convenience. Almost as convenient as a printed pattern. Anyway, that’s exactly what happened when I was looking through … Continue reading
I used Burdastyle Double Layer dress for my bridesmaid dresses and I’ve used it a few times before. It’s such a great, quick dress, which was perfect for a pre-wedding make. This time I made it from some jersey I had … Continue reading
The biggest decision of the wedding was whether or not to make my wedding dress. You all know that in the end I decided not to. However, I did make all 5 of my adult bridesmaid dresses (my flower girl … Continue reading
What would you buy if you won the lottery? I love playing this game. Obviously I’d give half to charity 🙂 and then I’d donate a wing to Hogwarts so that even though I didn’t get to go, my kids would be able to, but apart from that I’d probably blow the whole lot in Anthropologie!
Anyway, the Gallery Row dress was my absolute favourite. The fit was great, the length was perfect and the fabric draped beautifully. It was farrrr to low though, which was a shame. But then I reminded myself that I can sew. This had the added bonus of saving me £158. I already had fabric that I wanted to use – it had the same drape as the original dress and the navy blue is actually more my colour.
So I pretty quickly got to it. I used the burdastyle dress with gathered rectangle skirt for the bodice. My muslin was the lining of the dress and I had to shorten the darts substantially – they were trying to crawl up my throat! I also moved the zip to the CB so that I could use a chunky metal zip like the original dress.
For the skirt I cut a full circle skirt and an extra quarter circle panel. I wanted to add pockets to the front of the dress (like the original), so I used this extra panel in the middle of the skirt front and then sewed in seam pockets in here. Very subtle, but practical I think you’ll agree. It also meant that I could lightly gather the skirt to make it even more full.
I made a fairly slim petticoat to give a slightly more vintage shape. I couldn’t find a tutorial that made much sense to me, so I followed my own ideas and made a very simple version with a gathered cotton slip and a net layer to give some shape.
Overall it was a pretty simple dress to make, but I love the outcome. The lining of the bodice fits perfectly, but somehow the outer bodice is slightly looser. I actually really like the way this has turned out. It looks great with a belt and the fabric slightly overlapped. At least I think so! Still holding out for the funds to shop exclusively in Anthro, but for now I’ll settle for making use of my sewing skills!