Yes, you may not believe it, but this wool coat is definitely like wearing secret pyjamas.
It literally feels like snuggling up in a dressing gown. Bliss.
I’ve been looking for a princess coat for AGES. I found one I liked, but I wasn’t overly impressed with the fit and I didn’t really want it in black.
I figured that most of my tights are black OR navy so I needed a coat in a colour that would go with both. I scoured ALL THE SHOPS IN ALL THE WORLD (may only be a very slight exaggeration there), thinking that it would be far easier to buy one as an investment piece rather than make one.
But not a one was to be found. It seems that boxier shapes are in fashion and they just don’t suit me.
So I took to looking online. Fortunately, in all my online browsing, I came across this coat pattern and managed to track it down on eBay.
Next came the process of hunting down the perfect wool. I wanted a fairly thick wool in navy originally, but all of the navy samples were too dark. Then I saw this petrol colour and knew it would be perfect. After seeing the sample I was confident it would work so went ahead and ordered 5m (which was plenty, but it is very wide fabric). The fabric arrived really quickly from this seller and as the Christmas holidays were looming, I knew I’d have a chunk of time to get it done.
Over the next week and a half I followed each step of Gertie’s sew a long, which was extremely helpful. Using the sew a long felt so manageable as it broke the whole process down into achievable steps.
The pattern itself is actually fairly simple. The only thing that made it harder for me was the sheer mass of fabric you have at the end of the process. This is one heavy item of clothing – just check out the fullness in the skirt!
I used my wooden clapper and my brand new tailors ham 🙂 to press the seams as well as I could and I was really pleased with the crispness of the results although I think the hem could do with another press as you can clearly see the stitching of the ‘invisible’ hem.
The coat fastens with two hook and bars on the inside. I didn’t want to run the sick of ruining the front with buttonholes as the fabric is really thick here and I’m not sure my machine would have coped. I also like the clean look this gives.
At the moment I’ve sewn one vintage button on the front to carry on the asymmetrical look of the collar, but I’m not sure whether two buttons would look better, or even one big metal button. What do you think?
One of my favourite features of this coat is the contrast lining. I LOVE the pop of pink and teal together. Extra satisfaction probably stems from the fact that I used a pink satin that has been in my stash for years. I had to sew some strips together to get enough for the back bodice, but I like that effect too. Win win.
I also used the same satin for the pockets. The wool would have been too bulky and I think I like the little glimpse you get every now and then.
There’s a LOT of hem on this skirt, but as I was able to use my machine for both parts, it actually went fairly smoothly. For the lining I just overlocked the edge and turned it once. I made sure that the lining was slightly shorter than the wool all around.
I used my invisible hem foot for the outside, which worked pretty well, but as I pointed out in the pictures above, you can still see a seam line. It doesn’t bother me though and it did save me a lot of time. This is one BIG skirt.
Speaking of which, I was a bit worried that the weight of the skirt might cause the waistband to stretch out. I actually lay awake worrying about this the nights that the skirt was hanging on my dress form. However, necessity is the mother of invention as they say and in this case, I think I found a pretty cool and simple solution. I sewed a length of grosgrain ribbon to the waistband seam of the lining. I centred it over the seam (in fact I wish I’d taken pictures of this as it’s all hidden away inside the coat now). After attaching the coat and the lining together, I pinned through the waist seam of the lining and the coat so that the ribbon was sandwiched between the two. Then from the wool side of the coat, I stitched in the ditch of the waist seam so that you can’t see any stitching form the outside, but it feels much more sturdy overall.
Oh and here’s a reminder of the last coat I made. It felt good to be out and about, both wearing me-made coats! Anyway, I absolutely LOVE this coat and it feels great (and comfy) to wear.