I may not have made my dress, but I had great fun with the bridesmaids’

IMG_8568

The biggest decision of the wedding was whether or not to make my wedding dress. You all know that in the end I decided not to.

However, I did make all 5 of my adult bridesmaid dresses (my flower girl managed to find a perfect dress in Monsoon).

Seeing as some of the girls live fairly far away, I didn’t want to worry about too many fitting issues, so I decided to make them all Burda Double Layer Dress, which I’ve made a couple of times before and I find very versatile and easy.

The benefit is that it has an elasticated waist and only 2 pattern pieces so any alterations were easily achieved.

Lara and Martin Scurr - Saturday before the ceremony - 519Lara and Martin Scurr - Saturday before the ceremony - 562Lara and Martin Scurr - Saturday, the ceremony - 032

To make the dress a bit more ‘wedding appropriate’ I made it as a single (rather than double) layer dress, but cut from 2 layers, the top one being lace. This made it a bit trickier, but I made a test version for myself to help decide the order of construction.

Lara and Martin Scurr - Saturday before the ceremony - 399IMG_8603Lara and Martin Scurr - Saturday, the party - 234

I used the ‘under’ layer of the dress pattern as I didn’t want them to be too low, then cut out the navy underlayer and lace from the same pattern.

I sewed together and overlocked the side seams of both layers before attaching them to each other, right sides together at the necklines and armholes. After that I sewed the shoulder seams together and turned it all right sides out.

I marked where I wanted the elastic and sewed that in place by stretching it out as I sewed.

After letting the dresses hang I hemmed them by overlocking the 2 layers together. It gave the hems a slight lettuce edge, which I really like, and was a nice, light finish.

Lara and Martin Scurr - Saturday before the ceremony - 500IMG_8967IMG_8953IMG_9022

When it’s written out like that, it all sounds very simple, but there were a few hiccups along the way. By the 5th I was a pro and could probably sew another one with my eyes closed now! I won’t be doing that though!

IMG_8970IMG_8916IMG_8669

I think they turned out great and all of my beautiful friends looked super beautiful in them 🙂

Advertisements

18 thoughts on “I may not have made my dress, but I had great fun with the bridesmaids’

  1. Pingback: My ‘bridesmaid’ dress | dreaming of avonlea

  2. Pingback: Sweet and simple | dreaming of avonlea

  3. The dresses are great…. but YOU!!! You look amazing in that dress… I couldn’t wait for a post with the dress to see what is it so special about it, but now I completely understand why you had to have it. And I still can’t wait for a special post with the dress with lots of pictures.
    Congratulations!

  4. They look amazing dresses, such a great idea to do a dress like that when fitting lots of different shapes. I think they all look gorgeous and you look beautiful too

  5. Wow! Making one bridesmaid dress sounds like a challenge, let alone 5!! You did a fantastic job. It will be so nice to look back on your wedding photos in years to come and know you created those dresses from scratch.

I'd love to hear what you think...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s