But still want to show you lots of photos.
First of all, I would just like to say that I LOVE MMMay, so this is nothing personal against it! I’ve taken part for the last 2 years (here’s a snapshot of 2014 and 2015) and I enjoyed both years immensely. However, this year I just don’t feel the need. I wear me-made clothes every day as it is, so I couldn’t think of a pledge without completely upping the ante and committing to making my own basics and underwear (neither of which are things I’m interested in). I know I could have stayed with just wearing my me-made clothes throughout May, but I don’t think I need to write that down really.
In addition, I am currently marking crazy test papers, writing reports, planning for our Estyn inspection and planning our wedding :-). So life is rather busy at the moment.
All of this led me to the conclusion that I might take a back seat in this years shenanigans and just enjoy watching from the side lines.
I actually have a backlog of a few dresses to show you and one or two more, which I’ve planned, and hope to find time to make soon. So fear not, there will be plenty of me-mades in May 🙂
Without further ado; here’s one of them…
I made this dress a couple of months ago when I was still testing out bodice shapes for my wedding dress. Read more about that here.
The bodice is made from the lining pieces of the Kat Colorblocked dress, which I’ve actually made before. This time I levelled out the front of the bodice so that it didn’t curve up at the waist. I boned each seam of the bodice and added a waist stay, although I made the waist stay too big so it doesn’t actually do anything useful. The intention was there though.
This dress was initially going to be a muslin, but I liked the heart fabric so much that I wanted to make it into a wearable dress. I didn’t have enough fabric to get a skirt out of it too, but I did have this navy wool in my stash, which I though co-ordinated quite nicely.
The skirt is a double half circle skirt (as in, I doubled my waist measurement to work out the radius). This meant I could pleat the fabric and have a really full shape. I’m VERY aware of the huge crease on the skirt. However much I press it, it doesn’t seem to come out very well. Any tips for that?
In these pictures, the skirt is just ‘hemmed’ with my overlocker and I wore it out like this a few weeks ago when I went for cocktails with friends. Unfortunately, the control freak in me couldn’t cope with that level of rebellion so I have since turned it up and hemmed it properly. It’s about 1cm shorter in case you’re interested.
As you may have noticed, the strap is actually removable. Thanks to the boning, the bodice stays up fine on it’s own, but it’s nice to have the option of more security. I saw this dress on Gertie’s blog, which gave me the idea. Unfortunately, I used poppers rather than buttons, so they’re not always completely secure. Although so far only one of the poppers pops and there are 4 (two on each side) so I haven’t lost the strap completely yet.
I really love this dress overall. It reminds me of something you might find on Modcloth, which can never be a bad thing, and is another good thing to come out of my initial wedding dress plans.
There are a few more of them heading this way soon so watch this space!
Looking forward to seeing all your Me Made May loveliness.