This second one is made using some Cath Kidston fabric I’ve had for ages. I can’t find this fabric on the site anymore, but I’m sure you can get some on auction sites, or there are plenty of other choices around. It’s actually more of a bright coral, not quite the fluorescent orange you see here, but it’s a hard colour to capture accurately.
This fabric is a particularly stiff cotton, which holds the skirt shape beautifully and gives the dress a nice structure rather than just being a floaty summer dress. Although, it does puff out sometimes and needs a bit of manhandling to squash back into place. I’m sure it will be controlled by a few washes!
I did a little bit more fitting on this version. Just like version 1, I took out some of the gaping in the front neckline, but I also did the same on the back. I’m soooo pleased with the fit now!
I had to redraw the neckline slightly. When I first tried the bodice on, it was a bit high, so I drew dots while I was wearing it and then folded right down the centre front and used my french curve to get a nice line. Cutting on the fold meant that it’s perfectly symmetrical, and marking while I was wearing it, means it hits exactly where I wanted it to.
As I said, it was very chilly when I wore this in Vienna, so I accessorised with super thick tights and lots of layers. Even so, you may notice that I get blue-er and more goose-pimpled as the photos progress.
Eventually we found a sunny greenhouse, which offered some much needed warmth, but tricky lighting. So, apologies for the crazy colouring in some of these pics!
Just like in Salzburg, I was very quick to put my layers back on afterwards.
The skirt length on this is actually a bit longer than I usually wear, but I think that works quite well with the high neck and simple silhouette. I also added pockets. I’m not usually fussed about pockets in a skirt – I never have anything to put in them, but I had the perfect sized scraps to cut them out from!
I used a vintage zip in the centre back, but it wasn’t quite long enough. I wasn’t going to go out and buy a new one. This one matched too perfectly, so I pretended that I was always planning for a keyhole opening at the back, and went with that. I love the black and white button at the top. I’ve got quite a few of these that I’ve been saving for ‘something special’, but I realised that I was never using them that way, so I’ve decide to start putting my favourite pieces to use asap!
I didn’t want to line such a thick fabric, so I finished the edges with bias binding and overlocked the inside seams. I think it actually looks super neat.
One more holiday post to go – and I warn you, it’s a good one!