Fair warning here; I think a few weeks away from blogging may have made me a bit rusty in the old posting department, so please forgive me if any of this doesn’t make any sense!
Very simply, to explain my unexplained absence… I’ve been very busy! Part of that busy-ness has been sewing, but no time to photograph, so I will update you soon!
Anyway, one of the pieces I’ve made over the last few weeks is this Deer and Doe Sureau dress. In fact, I made 2 at once. My thought process went something like this…
“Hmm, I don’t want to line this dress and I can’t be bothered to make a muslin, so why not risk 2 pieces of lovely fabric and cut out 2 dresses at once and just hope it fits!”
I think the sewing gods were on my side because (SPOILER ALERT) it seems to fit pretty perfectly.
I had about 1.5m of this soft cotton, so I had to go for a minimalist version of the dress. Sleeveless, no collar and a rather slim skirt. And I love most of it, although I was very conscious of the skirt length all day. I do have a long strip of this fabric left so I may add an extension panel at the bottom. What do you think?
A few minor details….
I hate facings so I used bias binding around the neckline and armholes.
I wasn’t sure about the gathers in this fabric so I pleated it instead – I had to keep checking they were lined up PERFECTLY!
I cut 2 of the fake plackets so that I could line the inside one.
I used some vintage buttons from my stash and vintage fabric I bought a few months ago and have been saving for the perfect project, so all in all a great stash busting effort!
This is without a doubt the most invisible zip I’ve sewn. I actually followed all the tips that say you should press the zip first. Tips that I’ve previously thought wouldn’t make any difference. And lo and behold it worked like a charm!
And last, but not least – I liked my hair when we took these photos so I got a snap of that too!
And yes, you may have guessed it. I will be showing you a second sureau in the near future!