Although I guess technically this is just 2 dresses in 2. This is the Burdastyle double layer dress, which I bought when Burdastyle UK had a 2 for 1 sale.
Over half term, as a break from reports, I went over to Beth’s house to help her make a dress. I wanted something simple to make for myself so I took this Burdastyle double layer dress. I’d already assembled the pattern and cut out all of the pattern pieces. All four of them – 2 for each dress.
I started by helping Beth make a dress pattern for some lovely curtain fabric she has and then I set off on my own dress while she made some beautiful bunting.
This dress calls for bias binding around the neckline and armholes. I wanted cream binding and didn’t have any, so I made my own following this Colette tutorial. I think I made about 3000m of tape, which still wasn’t enough for both dresses. The moral being – always make more than you think you need.
The pattern instructions call for the elasticated waist to be put in by sewing a zig zag stitch over a piece of elastic thread. I tried this, but it didn’t feel sturdy at all and the gathers just felt too loose. So instead I used a straight stitch to sew down some 5mm wide elastic. I stretched out the elastic as I sewed so that when I released it, it gathered up nicely.
The hem is finished with a rolled hem, which worked nicely on this silky fabric.
The beauty of this dress is that I now have a lot of mix and match options. The over and under dresses are completely separate so can be used with other garments and the fabric is thin enough that it can pretty much be layered with anything. I’ve already worn this on 3 occasions, with different combinations each time. Wahoo, versatile fashion!
BTW bonus points if you recognised that this is the dress I sketched in this post