If I were the tall, slim build that I often like to visualise myself being (or if I had used cotton jersey as the pattern suggested!) then I may be able to wear this top as it is intended. Unfortunately, I am not of that build (and I did not pay attention to the fabric suggestions) so this top comes very close to strangling me when worn as it was intended. See picture below:
However, I really like the way this top drapes and when worn the ‘wrong’ way round I can actually move my arms around – always handy in those demanding situations, like life.
This was the second thing I made last weekend. I used some fabrics in my stash – this is a great top for using up small leftover pieces. The pattern comes from the Burdastyle Vintage Modern Handbook and it was pretty easy to adapt the original block. I’d recommend this book actually. It comes with the basic patterns for 5 Projects, but then it has instructions on how to adapt them into many more. To make this top I used the same pattern as for my Elizabeth dress. I just had to use the bodice pattern without the darts, section off the triangle shapes and slightly alter the neckline and armholes. It was really easy to sew together all the panels and then I used bias binding to finish the neckline and armholes.
The eagle eyed amongst you may have noticed that the ‘skirt’ I’m wearing is actually just some jersey wrapped around me and held in place with a belt. It turns out I don’t have any really narrow skirts in my wardrobe and I wanted something high waisted and slim to balance out the squareness of the top. … guess what you might be seeing next on here!!
And on that note, I’m sure I’ll be seeing you soon with some familiar fabric!