Now, rather appropriately for Valentine’s Day, I have found a new love… my second re-made dress! It would be a lie to say that I love everything about it, but all relationships have their bumps and wonky waistlines right?
The following photo shows what I started with – I only ever wore it once and knew that it just wasn’t right for me from the start. Still I held on to it and told myself that a relationship with a dress must be easier to change than one with another human being. It took a while, there was lots of anger and disappointment, but I finally got around to getting what I want from this piece of clothing.
You can click on the picture to see the original project in full.
Nothing in it was really working for me so I set about to make my alterations.
1. Remove the random and pointless strap at the back, which just makes me shoulders look wider.
2. Lower the bodice a couple of centimetres.
3. Chop off the skirt.
4. Plan to cut out a half circle skirt for the lining and a wider half circle skirt to be gathered for the outside.
5. Accidentally chop the wrong skirt part into sections.
6. Stomp and scowl.
7. Sew and overlock those sections back together and scratch head over why they are now different sizes?? (If anyone asks I completely meant for the lining to look tiered!)
8. Cut the actual skirt fabric into 3 sections.
9. Sew in the lace (of which I bought 14ft for about £3 on ebay – score!)
10. Attach skirt lining to bodice lining.
11. Gather skirt fabric and attach to bodice fabric.
12. Sew in zip as here.
13. Sew seams together.
14. Hem lining and skirt.
15. Wear and enjoy.
16. Oops – I still need a hook and eye.
So that’s it in a nutshell. I think it’s more of a summer or evening dress really, but we went on a lovely walk along the beach today and I knew it would be a perfect photo opportunity, so I just styled it differently. Plus it pretty much is 2 dresses in one so it was nice and warm! (I have no idea what the fabric is called, but it’s heavy and stretchy – any ideas?)
What do you think? Do you have a new valentine’s fashion love?
PS check out my nails – I wanted to bring a little sunshine into February!