Seeing as it’s half term this week, I have decided to make myself a fairly extensive sewing to do list. Top of that list is remaking me-made clothes that have seen better days or just aren’t me anymore. (I don’t like throwing things away so I’d much rather remake them in to something wearable!)
The first one I started with The second one I started with (after I chopped off sleeves from the first one and now can’t decide where to go with it so it’s going to be a UFO for a while) is one of the first wearable pieces I made. I’ve worn it an awful lot and because it’s cheap cotton, the fabric has become quite thin and threadbare and it never fit perfectly anyway.
Here’s the before picture. Click to see more photos of it.
The skirt fabric wasn’t as worn as the bodice, so the adjustments were pretty obvious to me.
I unpicked the zip – like I said, I hate waste and it still works so it will be used again, and then chopped off the skirt. I shortened it slightly and cut some lining – which is also a gathered skirt, but with much less fabric. Then I made a waistband from navy gabardine fabric, which I interfaced and self lined. I made contrasting belt loops from the original fabric. I constructed the skirt and the zip in the same way as I did for my tartan skirt here and here. Et voila, a much more wearable piece for my wardrobe. The fullness of the skirt gives it a vintage look and the length means I can wear it in the summer without tights as well.
Try not be distracted by my pallor and tightly clenched fists – it was mega cold outside, but when I was fully wrapped up you couldn’t see the skirt so I braved frostbite to try and get some good snaps.
I much prefer it so I hope you do too!
Hopefully I’ll be posting quite regularly this holiday as, if I get through my list, I will have lots to show you all!