I hate to have to say it, but I fairly firmly feel,
Maria’s not an asset to the abbey! Oops, sorry standard sound of music distraction. Anyhoo, what I was trying to say was; I hate to have to say it, but I fairly firmly feel that I may be a weekend only blogger for a while… On week nights it takes all the energy I have left just to eat dinner and mark my books. Maybe when I get a bit more skilled in using this blog I could do it more speedily!
So as I posted about last week, I had lots of new sewing books for Christmas and one of them was Burdastyle’s Sewing Vintage Modern. How convenient then that they are holding a competition to make a dress from the book using or adapting the patterns given. I’ve never entered a sewing competition before and don’t for a second expect to win, but as I’d already designed lots of outfits from the book and even matched my designs to fabric I already had, I knew there was nothing to hold me back and this weekend I went full steam ahead with the Elizabeth gathered dress!
I altered the pattern quite a lot from the original version in the book; 1. I did a full bodice lining rather than the facings the pattern called for – I always find facings a bit messy, plus now you can’t see any stitching on the bodice part of the invisible zip – yay 🙂 – to make it even neater on the inside I also covered the end of the zip.
and of course I added my label!
2. I lowered the neckline – a lot! I don’t tend to make muslins, I make the lining first, alter that before cutting the outer fabric and then put it all together. Every time I tried on the lining I wanted it slightly lower so I just kept using my french curve to lower the neckline. I also pivoted the centre front in 1cm, grading it down from the top to the bottom of the CF line. If I hadn’t done this, I have no doubt it would have gaped and I have enough on show already to know that gaping is not the way forward!
3. The original dress pattern as it is, is rather simple, so I pleated the back before sewing the back bodice. I like the very subtle way it breaks up the Ikat print a bit and depending on the lighting it adds some nice texture to what would other wise be a flat expanse of fabric!
4. Instead of a gathered rectangle for the skirt I gathered a half circle skirt and then made about 100m of black bias binding – at least that’s what it felt like – to go around the hem. I used a tutorial from Colette Patterns to make the binding. http://www.coletterie.com/tutorials-tips-tricks/continuous-bias-tape-tutorial I ran out of fabric for some of the skirt so I tried to match up the print and add an extending section – you can kind of see it at the hem of the front skirt piece (it’s only about an inch deep).
So that’s it really – a very simple pattern, which was perfect for adapting to my own style. I recommend the book, it has some lovely variations to suit all styles.
P.S. I’m not overly happy with these photos – it was freezing outside so my skin has a slight purple tinge (despite my extra winter pounds – which also make me dislike these images) but I was so excited to do a new post and upload my dress! So easily pleased!